A senior junior called to the Bar in 1989 with 25 years’ experience.
Stephen has a particular interest in Commercial Property and Property Litigation. He also has specialist knowledge of Chancery Litigation, Commercial, Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
“I am very aware that in modern times firms and Counsel need to work more closely together and I fully and wholeheartedly endorse this methodology. Working as a team gets the best out of a case for a client and makes the whole process of litigation or advisory work far more successful and efficient as well as enjoyable and rewarding. Clients’ needs differ. My aim is to assess quickly the particular needs and demands of the client and how they can best be met practically, both in terms of the advice they receive but also the manner of delivery. I am told I am approachable and down to earth. I believe the days of counsel luxuriating in their remote and revered ivory towers are long gone. I am always willing to chat about potential matters or just give a preliminary view on the phone if that is what is needed at any time, and encourage direct and open communication. Mobile phone and DDI numbers are available at all times. I aim to be accessible and flexible whilst offering a top quality service and value for money. Electronic legal resources as well as voice dictation software and bespoke word processing macros and templates enable me to provide consistently professional documentation.”
Recent cases in which Stephen has been involved include:
- Advising upon and appearing in a trial of a preliminary issue regarding domicile in the context of a UK administered estate.
- Overturning a first instance decision in the Court of Appeal on a boundary dispute against junior and leading counsel
- Multiple lease renewals for high street retailers.
- Advising upon jurisdiction issues in connection with commercial property development in Barbados and Montenegro.
- Advising in connection with a commercial landlord and tenant rent review as to whether a headline rent fell to be determined by the independent expert.
- Advising a discretionary beneficiary in the context of a multi-million pound Isle of Man settlement.
- Acting on behalf of a charitable body in connection with a £2 million bequest involving questions as to the charitable status of the gift, certainty and conditions precedent and subsequent.
- Advising upon the consequences of a disclaimer of a freehold interest by a liquidator following compulsory liquidation and the law relating to escheat and the consequences upon a legal charge holder.
- Advising upon and making representations to an independent valuer under a claw back provision. Advising upon a claim in damages against a firm of Attorneys arising out of lease renewal proceedings.
- Advising upon the enforceability of restrictive covenants in the context of a proposed residential development and in particular the acquisition of land for the purposes of affording access to the residential development.
- Advising upon a pending application to H M Land Registry to register title by way of adverse possession of a flying freehold.